Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Brazil v Wales at White Hart Lane


K and I met up with the 1927 club to watch the Wales game. This was my first live Wales game since I saw Wales lose to England at Wembley in (I think) 1972 with Alan Clarke scoring and my friend Jimmy Connolly being threatened for being Irish. Clearly a junior IRA member from Hendon - we were 13 for christ's sake. Actually Jim was a great footballer and probably could have made it as a pro if he hadn't broken his leg a couple of times - the first when our PE teacher, Mr Borrett was demonstrating 'how to tackle'. "Come on Jimmy, come at me" he said. Jimmy beat him all ends up so Norman Borrett chopped him down, breaking his leg. I understand Jim went on to become a successful Hendon hairdresser.

Anyway, it was a fun occasion, but we had to leave after an hour as our babysitting fell apart. Marley was looking after Jemima, and for some reason this fell apart, so we had to leave the ground and pay £25 for a cab to Holloway. What a rip. On the other hand Tottenham is such an awful dump it's worth it. As soon as we left, Brazil scored. Sorry everyone.

Below are a couple of awful pictures I took with my phone. It was unbelievable the amount of people taking photos of Ronaldhino at corners, with all sorts of cameras, and flashes everywhere - some people clicking and booing simultaneously.

I should add that I loved the Ginger Monster's new song. Cheers Matt. "What's that coming over the hill..."


No comments: