Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fred liked a flutter

When I first got the job driving the van with Fred I was warned about Fred's penchant for a bet or two. Or three or four. "He'll have you stopping ay every betting shop all over London." I was told. But Fred had been warned too, and he kept his betting shop stops to a minimum. Sure he'd drop into a bookies at lunch time, but otherwise we'd only stop at a bookies about twice a week. Anyway, one day Fred won big. He'd placed a bet which (from what I could tell) involved Willie Carson winning a lot of races that day - and he did. According to Fred he'd made over £900 -: which was a lot of money in those days when you consider that all I was being paid to drive the van was £60 a week. Anyway, for Fred it was cups of tea all round, and endless praise for days after about the wonders of Willie Carson, and how he never let Fred down. Which of course wasn't true. Carson didn't win every race.

No comments: